An impressing structure, the “castle of Paulilatino”, which evokes distant memories and jealously guards moments and objects of the life that took place there daily between the end of the ‘700 and the beginning of the’ 900.

The building belonged to the family of Cavaliere Giovanni Antonio Atzori, notary of the town, who died at the age of 77 on March 9, 1900. Last descendant of an important and rich family of Paulilatino, owner of lands and livestock.
The building built with stones and baked bricks bound together with mortar and mud, is spread over three levels and consists of 14 exhibition rooms.

THE SPACES

Its first structure could date back to the second half of the sixteenth century, while the attic and the roof-terrace are probably due to the nineteenth century. The ground floor has several very large rooms with barrel vaults and floors made of well-squared basalt slabs. A passage leads to the large courtyard surrounded by walls over 4 meters high and housing a well still generously rich in water. Overlooking on the courtyard there are the stables that preserve the wall troughs made of stone.

From the ground floor you reach the first floor with a large basalt staircase. Here too there are large rooms with big arches, columns, capitals and architraves, all finely made of basalt.

The vaults are mostly barrel, but also in wood in view.

The third level is reached with another very steep basalt staircase. These rooms are characterized by the mighty wooden ceiling and overlook a roof terrace that today is covered, but once it housed a hanging garden cultivated with citrus fruits. The space is very large and bright. Ideal for conferences and exhibitions.